Nereus’s Andrés Cisneros-Montemayor (UBC), Gerald Singh (Memorial University of Newfoundland), Elena Finkbeiner (Center for Oceans, Conservation International), Jack Kittinger (Center for Oceans, Conservation International, Arizona State University), Lydia Teh (UBC) and Rashid Sumaila (UBC) are all co-authors on a new paper published in Nature Sustainability, “Towards a sustainable and equitable blue economy”. In their paper, the authors identify five priority areas that need to be addressed to “achieve a safe and just future ocean economy”:
- Establish a global coordinating body and develop international guidelines;
- Ensure national policies and institutions safeguard sustainability;
- Promote equitable sharing of benefits and minimization of harms;
- Employ inclusive governance and decision-making processes; and
- Engage with insights from interdisciplinary ocean science.
You can read more about their paper at the Institute for the Oceans and Fisheries at University of British Columbia here, and access the paper here.